Thursday, November 24, 2011

On Fire!

This is my turkey about 11 minutes after I put it in the oven, well after I put it in the Turkey Cooker. Yes, the bag WAS on FIRE! I had to get a squirt bottle and put out the burning bag.
Nana gave me a cooker:

She used it. It worked great, but she didn't want to use it again, so she gave it to me. I was happy to have it. I only have one oven and on Thanksgiving, an additional "oven" can be a life safer. A couple of months ago I cooked a turkey breast in the cooker just to test it, make sure it worked well. It did. All was delicious.
So, this morning I prepared my turkey as usual. I buttered my brown bag, I put my turkey in the bag, stapled it up and put it in the cooker. 5 minutes later I notice a burning smell. Hmm. 4 more minutes and I see smoke. This can't be good. I called Nana to ask if she had the problem, but she was NOT home! I spoke with Bumpa and he thought that maybe the bag was too close to the cooking element, so the bag was not going to work with the turkey. He suggested I take the turkey out of the cooker and just use my oven.
I opened the lid and saw a small fire burning on the corners of the bag!!

Ok, take #2.
I prepared another bag, heated up my real oven.

And I put my turkey in the real oven.

When at first you don't succeed, try try again...

1 comments:

Tatia said...

Julie, it was so fun to click on the Payne Blog link and actually SEE something! Thank you... Which reminds me, last year I copied and printed out all my blog posts and saved them as a journal. I read them over a couple of weeks ago and SO appreciated that I had somewhere to write down experiences and someone to share them with! thank you for giving us this gift!