Wednesday, January 21, 2009

YO ADRIAN...I DID IT!...i think

If you are tired of the Post Office, then skip this post... Training is over. I BARELY passed - due to family prayers - I spent one afternoon sobbing as quietly as I could - had to wipe my nose with my shirt because I didn't want to get up and have anyone notice me. VERY stressful. The day I passed I spent one of my 10 minute breaks walking around the building (outside) listening to Rocky music. I pictured myself running up the stairs of that building, exuberant and triumphant. I visualized myself passing that AWFUL test that I had already taken 28 times (no exageration). I was determined! It took 4 more tries, but I did pass it. Then I quickly passed test #37. I had 2 more tests to pass and 5 more hours to do it. It was going to be a snap! Test #38...again, again, again...AAAAAAA. I had one hour left on my time limit when I passed test #38. All I had left now was the accumulative test of the entire 2 weeks training. I no longer cared if I passed or not. Frankly, I was so stressed, I was looking forward to NOT passing... Of course, I passed THAT test the first time I tried. I tried to visualize myself triumphantly running up the stairs like Rocky...and realized I felt more like Rocky did AFTER completing 15 rounds with Apollo Creed. I had done it, but I was exhausted and beat to a pulp.
I get 3 days off to recover. Yesterday, I arrived 3 minutes late. Later that afternoon, I was pulled aside and nicely, but very clearly told that if I was late one more time I would be "let go." I am now laughing at the ridiculousness of it, but I was not happy yesterday. Today I was 3 keystrokes from quitting again, as I could not key as fast as they wanted me to. I am 98% accurate, but my best time was 4718 keystrokes an hour and they want 5200. WHAT AM I DOING IN THIS ultra-structured NAZI CAMP? Let's have a betting pool on how long it will take for me to be fired... Just for the record - I have never been fired and I have NEVER been a loser at ANY job I have ever had. I have always been a VALUABLE employee. At this job I am the third worst.

I made a list of pros...
1. In this job, I will never make a child cry.
2. I am decreasing stress on Don - who already has 3 jobs.
3. I have already lost some weight because my fast food intake has been cut in half.
4. I am now exercising 4 times a week immediately after work.
5. There is no other part-time work where I would get paid $13.12 an hour.
6. It is during school hours.
7. I have been forced to find a carpool for Daniel so THAT commute has been cut in half.

I still think it has been an adventure. I have experienced something completely out of my comfort zone. I have a lot more compassion for Don, who works 12 hours and still has to come home and be a husband and a parent. I no longer take for granted the HUGE blessing of staying at home and having the luxury of being a full-time Mom. ....And THAT's the rest of the story...so far!

8 comments:

G Dawney said...

Tatia, DARLING!!!!

Big HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so glad that you passed. You will feel better in a day or two. And you will have NO PROBLEM keeping the job. I'm very proud of you.

Julie/mom said...

Wow, What a story!! I am exhasted for you!

Thanks for the update. This post office stuff is facinating and scary!

Steven said...

That is amazing, what a jump from 700 key strokes! I am impressed at your persistence, I probably would have given up.

Candice said...

I am stressed out for you! I want to yell at all the Nazi people and tell them to BACK OFF! If you're the third worst, I want to know who is the best and what their key stroke is. How far away are you from them?
Are you competing with robots????

I think they must not be real people, but robots in disguise. I don't think a real person can type that fast, that accurately. They should be thanking their lucky stars!!!!

What a challenge! Tatia I'm so proud of you for not giving up. Just think of the group in heaven you'll get to stand in for this one!! We will all be in awe.

GBART said...

After much tribulation come the blessings
I made a typo on that short sentence!
So fire me!

GBART said...

Maybe when you die you will have to work for the Heavenly Post Office and you can send mail to the Nazi's who live on other degrees. At least you'll know where everybody is - Then you can tell me 'cause I think it will be very interesting to know where all the people went. All the things you learn will not be wasted. I'm very proud of you! Mom

kcolek said...

Tatia, I'm proud of you for hanging in there despite your fears and frustrations. We all have great confidence in your ability to make this work out and when you do you will have an inspiring, Rockyesque story to tell. Speaking of which, your relating of the story was superb, I was hanging on every word-- tension, suspense, emotion--the hallmarks of great writing (and it even inspired me to write this note, I think my second of all time.) Keep up the faith!

Anonymous said...

WOW! What family validation! i did get through my first "real day". I had to find my own seat, do my own work, and every moment expecting to hear my name called over the loudspeaker to get in trouble! But it didn't happen! I even got to leave an hour early because they ran out of mail!
P.S. Remember, the goal is keystrokes an hour - not words - and I have another 60 days to reach the benchmark of 7150 per hour!