Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving in Utah

Or at least in White City...

The Glenns opted to eat at home. Wednesday morning Mom cooked the turkey. (Because if I have to cook an entire Thanksgiving meal with one oven, I have to cook the turkey the day before). We tried something new this year; we brined the turkey before we cooked it. Which means that it soaked in brine for 24 hours before it was put in the oven. (The brine was made up of water, salt, honey, maple syrup, cloves, ginger, bay leaves and pepper corns). It made the turkey very delicious, but it made the gravy fantastic!!

At the last possible moment we realized that we didn't have enough room at the table for everyone, so Dad and Tim brought in the BIG TABLE. After we sat down, but before we started, Tim had another last minute brainstorm and brought his turntable into the living room (while we all waited). We then had Dinner Music, as well as Dessert Music and Cleanup Music, for our listening pleasure.

This year, for the first time, Mom used Grandma Hart's stuffing recipe. (I can't even remember where I found recipe--but it has been hiding in a box since Ma died 12 years ago). It was really, really good. [To help you understand this next part, you need to know that the stuffing I usually make is an incredible permutation of Sherma's stuffing--except that I use cornbread, and add grated apple and pecans and whatever spices smell good. You wouldn't recognize it if you tried it] Ma's recipe is fairly simply with exactly one spice. And it doesn't go in the turkey. So after I pulled it out of the oven on Thursday and tasted it I said, to no one in particular, "Oh this really IS good." And now my men are teasing me mercilessly about thinking that Ma's recipe wouldn't be that good.

After dinner we took the entire family to see the movie "August Rush." We figured that would be a good movie for our family to see together. When we finally got into the theater (it took us 10 min just to get past the line for Enchanted) the theater was basically full. And who did we see sitting pretty on the third row back (excellent seats) but Nana and Bumpa with Candice and Gil!!! So we entertained the other patrons for 10 minutes while I told my parents how disapointed I was that they had not gone to see Enchanted, and hadn't called me to tell me that they changed their minds AND why didn't they save us any SEATS!!! It was seriously hilarious. AND it was a GREAT movie!

All in all a wonderful day.

3 comments:

G Dawney said...

We technically live in White City--an unincorporated section of Salt Lake County, located in the middle of Sandy. However, the Post Office calls us Sandy.

Julie/mom said...

I only have on oven too, it is a challenge. Sounds like all your food was great.

Nana said...

Sounds like you were the "Cook of the Year". Makes me hungry all over again. Am very PROUD of you.
and love you, too.