Wednesday, August 12, 2009

6 lbs. later...



Yesterday I stepped on a REAL scale and I have lost SIX POUNDS!

OK. I cheated. But I didn't mean to. I have been fighting a "flu" bug for almost 3 weeks off and on. It started with what I was afraid was a UTI which I was really upset about as I had just begun working for a Urologist as his "Medical Receptionist" (does everyone know that? I no longer work for the prison post office - that is a whole different post - haha) But a went to the store at 5:00 in the morning and bought a huge jug of cranberry juice and spent the day drinking it. Things seemed to get better although some symptoms lingered for a few days. I felt good for 3 days and then BAM! OHHHHH. The intestinal cramps, the body aches, headache, fever, etc. I had to miss a day of work (I only work 2 days a week). Achyness lasted about 4 days. 3 good days. BAM. This time it was worse - the chills were debilitating, the sweats were awful, every sneeze caused a jackhammer to go off in my head. I decided I must have a propensity for this sort of flu because I had the exact same experience 6 months ago (which caused problems at the prison-post office). That time the whole thing cycled 3 times and then it was over. This time Don got concerned enough that he arranged for me to see the doctor without an appointment.

-ASIDE...don't you hate going to the trouble of making an appointment with the doctor, knowing something is wrong, then getting there and being told "It's a virus. Just wait it out." --

Although the chills had gone I was still quite achey and yucky feeling and I had about decided it was a long-standing sinus infection gone out of control and turned into a tumor of some sort, so I dragged myself to the doctors office. They swabbed my nose for the flu. I felt sure they would come back and tell me it was swine flu. Instead, the test was negative. What else could it be, I asked. They took my temperature. 102.8. Hmmm. And I wasn't nearly as hot as I had been the day before. I wasn't even sweating. The doctor diagnosed a kidney infection, put me on antibiotics, told me if wasn't quite a bit better or if I got even slightly worse in the next 24 hours to go straight to the ER. From the kidneys, the infection could spread to the bloodstream and turn toxic!
Wow. Was I ever validated. Anyway, I have lost 6 pounds because I havn't had much of an appetite, but I am definitely feeling at least 50% better, which means my appetite will return and I will regain the 6 pounds! Cheaters never prosper.

Darn it.

That's my story! TTFN.
P.S. Oh. The doctor said that because I experienced the exact same symptoms 6 months ago, he had to assume that wa also a kidney infection which put me in the category of "complicated" so I had to take the antibiotics for a longer period of time...Mom has already told me she will give a kidney if I REALLY need it!

4 comments:

G Dawney said...

Siblings would be a better match than a parent, for a kidney transplant. I volunteer Candice, her kidneys are the youngest and should last the longest.

Poor Tatia! I have to admit that when Jessa told me you were sick I thought you might be flaking out on the exercise thing. I officially apologize for having unpure thoughts about you.

Stick to the meds, you'll feel better soon. And you MAY HAVE ACTUALLY lost the weight, not just due to being sick. Remember, you have been working your muscles extra hard and that (expended) energy has to have come from somewhere!

Candice said...

Thanks for volunteering me.

G Dawney said...

You're welcome :)

Nana said...

Tatia, I'm so glad you are feeling somewhat better. And should I be the one to donate the kidney, then you will be old and slightly or heavily (depending on the day) discombobulated! I love you.