Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Star is Born... Well, something anyway.

Yesterday, I spent couple of hours at Nana/Mom's house working off some nervous energy. I was very nervous. Mom was so sweet, she let me help her color her roots. Thanks Mom.

Last night, about 9:30 pm, Mark and I started a new adventure. We became Stand-Up Comics.

We have actually been working on this since last March. Mark decided that we would make a great team, and being a husband and wife comic team would help us to stand out. And last night we did our first "open mike" at Wiseguys Comedy Club.

Mark writes most (99%) of our material. Our original debut was supposed to be in May, but we stalled out (we did NOT chicken out). We've rewritten and rewritten and practiced and practiced. We got really serious this last week and finalized a routine. We practiced some more.

Open Mike night means that they let anyone up on stage. And I do mean anyone. Normally there are about 15 to 20 people signed up. Last night there were 32 (An article had appeared in last Sunday's paper about the club and the owner creating a lot of extra interest.) We were in smack dab in the middle of the show. We kept going out to the foyer and practicing. Tim and Hope, and Justin, Jessa and AJ came to see us.

Fortunately, Jessa videoed our bit. And I say fortunately because I was concentrating so hard on where my cues were that I missed most of the audience reaction. However, we were fabulous. We were so relieved when we were done. And SO excited -- we didn't get to sleep until midnight (and Mark had to get up at 5:00 am to go to work).

So, I have a video of the performance, but I am missing the cable to connects the camera to our PC. Once I get that replaced, I'll post the video and send you a link. This routine is rated PG-13. We will continue to perform Wednesday nights at the Wiseguys club in Trolley Square. The show starts at 8:00 pm. Mom/Nana and Dad/Bumpa are NOT ALLOWED to attend. Anyone else over the age of 18 is welcome.

9 comments:

Candice said...

I can't wait to see the video! Sounds like fun.

Christopher said...

Dawney, by every Wednesday, does that mean you are performing next Wednesday as well? I'm moving that day, but if I can, I'd like to come see you.

G Dawney said...

Yes, Christopher, we will be performing next Wednesday. Mark is under the gun to write a new bit by tomorrow, so that we can spend the weekend rehearsing. Trolley Square is on 500 South and 700 East. The restaurant is called Poundcakes and the Wiseguys club is inside it. Cost is $5.00 to get in.

Where are you moving from/to? Are you back at the Y? I am slightly confused.

Zak said...

You should tell the infamous under where/underwear joke

Christopher said...

I'm just moving to a different apartment in Provo. I've been here most of the summer working on finishing up my thesis.

Do you need to be 21 and have an ID to get in?

G Dawney said...

You do not need ID to get in, but probably if you want to order alcohol, which I assume you WON'T!

G Dawney said...

Zak, you'll have to tell me the underwear joke. [Zak always tells the best jokes, folks]

Zak said...

Mom especially loves this joke

you ask it to a person who isn't eating anything

"what are you eating under there?"
"under where?"
"Nasty! Why are you eating underwear!?!?"

Nana said...

Dawney, I'm so glad you feel good about it and that you did so well. Maybe, as time goes by, we'll have a Lucy and Rikki in our family. Keep up the good work. And thanks, for calling Afton for me. I got my hair highlighted. Now, I'm off to Arcadia and Newport for a few days.