Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Katy's "What If" assignment

Katy wrote this piece for a class at school. She is 13 years old and in the 8th grade! This is the second of this type of assignment she has gotten. It is called a "what if." This one is, "What if You Could Win Any Competition in the World."

Katy Payne
Period 3
What If #2
9-30-09

"On your marks!" yells the starter. I bend down into my starting position. I'm focusing on the track in front of me. My heart is beating faster than ever. Beads of sweat are forming on the back of my neck. I am thinking of nothing but passing the finish line.
"Get set!" he yells louder this time. I unbend my legs, knees still slightly bent, my chest stays low. My back leg starts to quiver. I close my eyes, trying to clear my head and calm my nerves. The butterflies in my stomach seem about to burst through the skin. I open my eyes, completely refocused.
I take a deep breath and then, bang! I push off with my front foot as hard as I can. I stay low, slowly lifting my chest for about five paces. I relax my face, not wanting the extra tension to slow me down. I focus on two things as I run, my breathing and the finish line.
I'm coming around the bend, just over one hundred meters left to go. As soon as I reach the final stretch I really have to push myself, make my body go faster than it feels is possible. Two other runners are gaining on me. I can hear their footsteps growing closer. I breathe harder, in through my nose and out through my mouth.
I've made it to the straight away now and I can't believe my heart is able to beat this fast. I see the crowd cheering all around me, yet I can't hear a sound they make. The finish line is getting closer and all I can think about is my dad, waiting for me there and screaming louder than anybody else in the stands. The runner in the lane next to me is out of my peripheral vision almost completely, just her arms show up with every arm pump she does.
I'm almost there. Just a few meters in front of me is the white line that tells me I'm done. I can't see the other runner at all anymore. A smile begins to stretch across my face as I sprint past the finish line. I've won and all the noise rushes to my ears. I continue to run. I go straight towards my dad. Every race I've ever been in, he has always been there, waiting for me with a smile from ear to ear and outstretched arms.
I did it. I won the two hundred meter dash of the world Olympics. I can't believe that my biggest dream has come true in under thirty seconds. I hold my dad so tight that I'm not sure if he can breathe. I can tell he doesn't mind because he tells me, "Katy, I am so proud of you."

------------------
I'd like to post her other ones. I'm thinking of starting a blog for people to post writings such as this. Stories or journals or poems. Do you think I should start a new blog or keep posting these here?

Bart
VERY Proud Dad!

4 comments:

Julie/mom said...

Great writing (and winning), Katy!

Tatia said...

WOW! I loved it! Keep posting here.

Candice said...

I loved reading Katy's writing. Yes, I think you should post HERE! Don't go anywhere else.

Nana said...

It kept me in suspense. I loved Katy's writing and I loved the fact that 'Dad' always stands at the finish line waiting for her to finish the race. Mmmm . . we might all be doing that some day.