Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Nice Title, Ken


For all of you Ken Follett Fans - I slogged through this 985 page book. Now here is my review:

The story would have been fine to good, in a 350 page book. It was like reading a history book! Ok, Ken, I know you researched and you like WW1. I finished the book because I usually really like Ken Follett (Pillars of the Earth; one of my favorites). I thought it would get better. I hated to quit just before it “caught on”. Really, if you like the first 200 pages, then you will like the book. It is a HUGE story of WAY too many characters. The writing is fine, but not luscious. I didn’t slurp up his sentences. I didn’t find myself reading parts allowed to Kerry. I did find myself skipping all the long and boring conversations between people talking about how the war was moving on; and war strategies. That helped me finish the book. There are TWO more books like this coming. What a drag.

And one more fallen Author: Sophi Kinsella.
I have LOVED all of her shopaholic books. I was so excited to read this one.

This one I just could not stomach even though it was the same character. She now has a daughter that is terribly spoiled; a husband that does not seem to connect. He only seems to connect with his business. She seems like an idiot mother, unaware and raising a daughter that will be a menace to society. Then there was the language. I just can’t read that. Can’t even think of parents speaking that way to each other in a most casual way. Really, disgusting. I stopped reading it. I did skip huge hunks to get a gist of the story; that was only ok. It wasn’t even a nice try.

I hope I have saved you all some wasted reading time. Although I wonder if I would have believed it if I had read it on a blog. Give them a try if you want and let me know what you think.


Oh - and Kerry just read the new John Grisham, The Confession. He didn't think that was the greatest either. I am not picking that up either.


I AM currently reading this book: The Book Thief
I am really enjoying it!
Different sort of book, different perspective. I AM reading parts aloud to Kerry (although I know that is not his favorite thing, sometimes I read something that is SO good, I have to share it).
It is about WWII; Nazis, Jewish, German, orphans, survival. Really, it's good.

4 comments:

Candice said...

Good review, Julie. I will not read any of those books!!

Julie/mom said...

Thanks, Candice, although, I don't think there was much of a chance you were going to rush out and read any of those books; but just in case, glad I could save you.

Nana said...

Julie, I will read the "Book Thief" It sounds like it should be good. When you stop to read portions to Kerry, you take after Dad. He likes to do that to me. And thank you for keeping the blogs going. You make them so interesting!

Tatia said...

Ken Follett and Sophie Kinsella were on my list. Now they are OFF. Thank you! I also read The Book Thief. It reminds me of The Giver and Good Night, Mr. Tom in the way it opened my eyes and touched my heart.