Thursday, August 7, 2008

To see or not to see...that is the question

OK. Just to prove that we Paynes watch more movies than just Apocolypto and Fargo...what are your current recommends? Here are mine:

Mummy III - STUPIDO. (Somehow that word is a little less offensive in Spanish). Bad acting. Maria Bello as Evelyn was the worst. I can't believe they let her continue the part after watching the dailies. I love the first two and I still think Brendan Fraser is adorable.

Mamma Mia - I took Sophie with me. There were some stupid moments, but there were also moments that really made me laugh and I needed a good laugh that day. A lot of it was over the top, but I think it was supposed to be that way. Saw this play on Broadway. It drove me crazy. Had to roll my eyes at the moral (read "im") message.

Get Smart - I have an emotional attachment to this TV series. Laughed hard and loud at the movie. I can't help it. Steve Carrell cracks me up. He played Maxwell Smart to a T.

Hancock - Took all my kids. Jaw-dropping bad language from Will Smith. Lectured the kids afterward. Very different hero movie. Some great suspense at the end. After a day or so of thinking about it I ended up liking it a lot and appreciating the different take on a superhero.

Dark Knight - This was another one I had to think about afterward. I was uncomfortable with the fact of Heath Ledger's death and this dark role he played, but he did play this role superbly. I didn't expect it. He hasn't been that great of an actor. And I think the movie stayed true to the comic book character of Batman. I LOVED the motorcycle!

I refuse to see Stepbrothers, and I heard Wall-E was stupid.

12 comments:

JessicaG. said...

1. No one is in this family is aloud to see stepbrothers completely wrong movie for this family.
2.Walle was AMAZING but i just like disney movies.
3. I've seen like every movie out at this point so any questions go ahead and ask.

Tim Glenn said...

Hope and I saw Swing Vote.

Aside from the guy behind us who was overbearingly conservative ;) it was a... well, it was an interesting movie experience.

I wouldn't really recommend it, Hope would rather punch herself in the face. She begged me to type that.

Tim Glenn said...

not really, she is now requesting that I rescind the last comment.

I refuse.

Christopher said...

I saw the midnight showing of Dark Knight, and I thought it was amazing. No thinking necessary - it was easily the best movie of the year.

G Dawney said...

Hope, you need to send an email to Aunt Julie and get your own log in for the blog...

Anonymous said...

Tim,
I want more info. What was interesting? I am interested in your political perspective since I read YOUR blog! And Hope must have HATED it. You two MUST come to our next family dinner. I am ready to grill you...(pun intended)

Tim Glenn said...

um, it was just a really cheesy movie, and we were easily the youngest people in the room. We didn't really find the movie all that funny, but everyone around us did. Plus the guy behind us had to make an audible comment about every little thing.

I would describe the movie as cute...

We'll be at the next one as long as we know about it well in advance. Well, actually, since I'm working weekends for the next two months, we probably won't be :)

Steven said...

Dark Knight was AMAZING.

Hancock was the worst movie I've seen in a theater since Rocky Balboa. The first 20 minutes were great, then it was unbearable. It made my top 10 worst movies of all time, and it beats Wild Wild West for Will Smith's worst movie.I would rather have Hope punch me in the face.

Not a movie, but I also saw Wicked last week, I loved it.

.003 naht esrow yaw ,reve eivom yrog tsom eht si otpylacopA

G Dawney said...

Steven, I don't think you are fooling anyone.

Anonymous said...

thropeehopundroped opis thope goporopiopest mopovopie opevoper mopade. HA.

Julie/mom said...

Ok, for many days, I thought steven's comments at the end were a mistake or some kind of gibberish. Then Tatia commented, I thought 2 people could not make up such gibberish, so I studied Tatia's comments and finally saw the OP. Then I knew Steven's comments had to be something! It took me a few minutes, but I got it! All VERY funny and entertaining.

Candice said...

I like all your comments. And I got Steven's comment right away! However, did he write it down first with a paper and pencil and then type it backwards?

I saw Mama Mia and wanted to crawl under my seat and DIE! By far the worst movie - way more than Hancock!