Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bigger, Stronger, Faster



I just finished watching this documentary. It was FASCINATING. If anyone has seen it I would be happy to start a dialogue. For any of you who have never heard of it, here is the shpeel (I didn't want to find out the real spelling)...

"In sports, winning is everything, and the pressure to succeed can drive some athletes to start taking banned substances. Filmmaker Chris Bell points the camera at his brothers and himself, all users of steroids. By exploring the reasons behind and effects of steroid use within his family, Bell calls into question the win-at-all-cost attitude so prevalent within American society."

I liked that the director didn't tell us what to think. He showed all sides of the issue. Why they started, who their heroes were, why his brothers continue to use, athletes and movie stars. He talks about the deregulation of the "nutritional supplement" industry... It was all fascinating. Heartbreaking for the mother when she learned about her sons using. It showed a part of American culture and lifestyle that I am completely ignorant of. Like I said, Fascinating.

4 comments:

Julie/mom said...

How do you find these movies??

Candice said...

OOOOooo, I really want to see that movie - I'm not joking.

Quinn said...

at first glance the guy in the middle of the picture looks like captain America

GBART said...

I want to see it
Have you returned it yet?
Bumpa