Sunday, October 25, 2009

Relief Society Lesson

I taught Relief Society today and I made this game board for my lesson.

I didn't necessarily want to throw it away at the end of the day, but what am I supposed to do with it now? So Gil took a picture so I could share it with all of you, and now I can throw it away!

My lesson was on "Faith in Jesus Christ." I gave everyone the article and let them read it through quickly. We then divided into two teams. Each team got to choose a question from the halloween bowl I used last night for trunk or treat. Then they got to roll the dice and move their token. Each game piece was a disney princess (Belle and Aurora). You can't see in the picture, but on the game board is a "path of obedience" which moves you ahead 4 spaces, the "depths of doubt" which make you lose a turn, and other parts from the article. We even had a winner at the end of the lesson, which I thought was good timing.

Teo crawled along the floor in front of me as I spoke and pulled himself up on the chairs where he could suck on the edge of the seat. What am I supposed to do, I'm teaching! All in all, it was a fun lesson. Sometimes, I just want to have fun in church and not be so serious. Even the RS president at the conclusion said, "that was fun." Now I'm free for another month.

6 comments:

JessicaG. said...

I very much liked that you used my favorit princess from disney. Every one forgets about Aurora.

Nana said...

Sound like a very fun lesson. I have very creative children. One makes a game,then invites one dimensional women to throw the dice, one waltzes through several stanzas of "Master, the Tempest . . " - one uses Jesus as an example, then discovers her child prefers George Washington, One doesn't go to Church, but reads her scriptures off the internet, and one makes up stories about pythons in the Garden of Eden!! I love you all.

Julie/mom said...

You can click on the picture and get a GREAT close-up! Very fun game!
Did you know there is a beautiful primary song by Janice Kapp Perry - I have Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. If you are interested, here is a link:
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=7611ba12dc825110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=21bc9fbee98db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

you'll have to cut and paste.

GBART said...

Everything mother said I say too!
And even Dad taught Gospel Doctrine yesterday. The Payne's had a great day yesterday! We loved Tatia's ward choir rendition of Master the Tempist is raging"
It brought tears, but thats not so unusual for me when one of my children are performing!
Love you one and all.
Bumpa

Tatia said...

Candice,
Being fun and spiritual is a gift. Use it! I wish I could use your game in my Relief Society (Hope - do you know what that is?)and one of my children bit another child when I was teaching once. Nobody cares now.

G Dawney said...

Correction: One reads her scriptures off the internet and goes to any number of churches. Just not one that is (apparently) Nana approved.