Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!



(Just to save you looking at the bottom of the post, the "I" is Julie.)

I remember an Earth Day (the FIRST one I ever knew about), about 12 years ago.

Mom and I went shopping to Nordstrom (I remember those days...) I guess we were looking for shoes because we both ended up getting Birkenstocks. I got blue ones, Mom got green ones. We were getting ready to go and visit Candice over in Israel. I was wearing a blue skirt. I looked good. I think we also got a FREE Birkenstock T-shirt.



**UPDATE: I finally remembered the incident that coincided with our trip...the Los Angeles Riots that happened after the acquittal of the officers involved in the Rodney Kind beating. The riots happened on April 29, 1992 - - so that was 17 years ago!! Let's get some confirmation from Candice....were you in Israel in 1992?

6 comments:

Steven said...

12 years ago I was in 7th grade and Earth Day was a big deal. There were several class projects that led up to earth day with a big 7th grade assembly on the day itself. I won a free t-shirt at the assembly. I think I still have it. Either that or Griffin wears it to sleep in.

Quinn said...

I haven't done anything with Earth day this year (8th grade) or last year (7th grade)

Candice said...

Yes, I was in Israel in the Winter/Spring semester of 1992.

Tatia said...

That was when I left 3 month old Allysa and 2 year old Haley with Grandma Hansen to go on that Israel trip. I left a skinny baby and came back to a fat one!

Quinn said...

on my comment, I meant I haven't done anything with earth day at school

Nana said...

Tatia, Grandmas are great to have aren't they!! and even Nanas!!
To Julie,
Your memory is awesome!! What a fun little story to read about. Birkenstocks, Israel, free-T shirts, the riots, Nordstroms. We've had a great life - and I did so appreciate Grandma Hansen.