Thursday, April 16, 2009

We Are Having A Boy!

Mike and I went to our baby’s 20 week ultrasound on Tuesday and we were able to determine that we are going to have a boy. I was actually quite surprised. All of my gut instincts told me that our baby was a girl, but I was obviously wrong. Mike was convinced that we were having a boy from day one. Don’t worry, I am still a very happy mom-to-be with a little boy on the way. I just had to rearrange all of the mental images in my head of what is to come, this didn’t take me very long at all.

I’m not sure if an ultrasound within a military installation is much different than one within a civilian practice, but none the less the experience was a bit comical. I laid on the bed while the ultrasound tech did a whole lot of examining, measuring and calculating all the while with the display screen facing away from me. I couldn’t see a thing. However, Mike could. He kept chuckling once in while. Apparently he could see that our baby was a boy long before the ultrasound tech even began explaining what she could see. After what felt like an eternity, she turned the display screen to let me take a look. Once she got the ultrasound image in its proper place, she said, “See, you’re having a boy.” I told her that I didn’t understand and asked her to please explain again. She had to explain the images to me several times before I believed her. I never got upset, I honestly just didn’t quite trust her and needed to feel confident in her abilities before I would believe her. This is pretty typical behavior for me. Mike tells me that my facial expressions throughout the whole appointment were priceless.

We went to our 20 week OB check-up today as well. The doctor filled us in on the rest of the ultrasound information (because the ultrasound technician is not allowed to.) Great news – our baby is in perfect condition, very healthy, good heartbeat… simply perfect. Also, all of the other pregnancy related tests I have taken came back with no problems to report. We are right on track.

The only bad news – there is a problem with my thyroid. Because it felt enlarged at a previous appointment, the doctor ordered some blood tests and an ultrasound. The ultrasound confirmed that it is indeed enlarged, and that there is also a visible lesion. I did some more blood tests today. In conjunction with the test results, my current doctor is going to consult with another doctor whom specializes in high risk pregnancies. Basically, if I wasn’t pregnant, he would have sent me down to general surgery for a biopsy. But because I am pregnant, he wants to check and see if it is better to wait until after our baby is born. The blood test results will also help him decide which way to go. I should have more information in about a week. I have decided not to worry myself until we have more information.

In the mean time, thank you for all of your lovely comments on my last post. I was prescribed a new nausea medication today (stronger) to see if I can get a few more useful hours out of my day. I have every intention of getting an epidural – thanks for the advice Candice. Also, we are still on orders for Fort Bragg, NC. Mike’s report date is early July, which means we would move around mid June. I get to be big, fat and pregnant in the middle of the summer and move across the country at the same time, yeah! We submitted our last attempt for a duty assignment change to Germany today. We are not planning on it working, but we still just have to give it a try. I have an adorable little step-son living over there, Ryan George Stephens. His picture is above. He is turning 3 years old in July and his Daddy misses him too much! Assuming the assignment change is denied, Mike is going to submit for another duty assignment change to Germany as soon as we get to Fort Bragg. Hopefully, we’ll get back to Ryan someday soon.

Happy Thursday!

6 comments:

Candice said...

I'm glad your baby is healthy with a good heart beat. I, too, was surprised to hear I was having a boy. It's great to hear what's going on in your life. Good luck with your possible move to Germany.

G Dawney said...

First time I have ever seen young Ryan. Such a cutie! Bodes well for the next one. Love the sonogram pics as well. Will now start buying all the cute little boy baby clothes that I have been drooling over.

Tatia said...

Beth,
I love hearing from you! Exciting stuff! I would have loved a chance to go to North Carolina. My instincts kept telling me I was having a boy...but they kept being girls! Sorry, Daniel, no brother for you.

Nana said...

I will never understand why this post is making me sob!(Silly Nana). But, am so happy baby is in good condition. And that he is a boy. Little Ryan is Beautiful! I feel for Mike.Am so happy to hear from You, Bethany, - I remember when I stood in the hospital with Candice at two in the morning visiting Dawney. She had just had you. Your beautiful little self started me down the road of Grandmothering. So much love, worry, enjoyment I have experienced since. I send my love.

Bethany said...

No problem Hope! I will not forget about your babysitting offer either ☺. Since we won't be able to put our little boy on a snowboard until he is, oh, about 3 years old, we will most definitely need some help if his mom and dad ever want to see their snowboards in Utah mountains again in the next few years.

Tatia said...

Oh, that our memories wouldn't fail! TATIA was with Nana at the hospital at 2:00 in the morning after Bethany was born. I was THRILLED to be an aunt, too! And I still am! Hmmm... how eccentric can a Great-Aunt be?