Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Last Open House!

I had Open House last night at my school and it will be my last one for "who knows" how long. Teaching positions are very scarce these days. I was "officially" given a pink slip last month and told my services were no longer needed next year. It said if I wanted a job I would need to "reapply" at the district office. It was also a big milestone for my pregnancy since it was the last big thing I had to do before leaving to have the baby. Friday is my last day altogether! Here are some photos of the night's events.

We started off the evening with a Reader's Theatre of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day! All of my students were in attendance with their parents so my classroom was full. They did a great job and made everyone laugh because of their expression and movement which they added on their own. I thought of Tatia when she did this piece for one of her speech performances when she was a youth!
This is our carpet and reading area. We have Dr. Seuss hats on the wall where we wrote couplets about the foods we would not like to eat - Green Eggs and Ham reference.

We made clay dinosaurs that weren't quit ready, but oh well. We still have to get them fired and glazed and refired. I still thought they were so cute just the way they were so I put them out anyway. They are about to become extinct from the volcano!
These are more dinosaur pictures they drew along with their continent relief maps which you can't really see. Notice the bin labeled "Long Term Sub." It's full of stuff for the rest of the year.
These are our lucky shamrock mobils. If I saw a leprachaun I would. . . If I only had one wish it would be . . . I would be the luckiest person if . . .
Me at the end of the evening standing in front of my door. Gil made that door cover for me last year. It makes me laugh. I'm now done with everything, I can't believe it. Does anyone know of a good book to read??? I need something to do!!!!

3 comments:

Julie/mom said...

Fabulous room! I would love for my child to be in your classroom! The door art was great too.

Look at the book blog, there are lots of good book ideas there.

Nana said...

I LOVE the door! I LOVE the person standing in front of it. That school has no idea what they gave up. But, come Autumn, they will!!

Anonymous said...

You are the quintessential teacher. The education system is truly losing one of its best - but baby Teo is getting the best! You are the perfect example of why TEACHERS are not failing the students, but politics are.